Anti Ragging Cell
St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad has been following a ‘Zero tolerance’ policy against ragging since its commencement.
Each student of the College and his/her parents or Guardian are hereby required to submit separate undertakings in the form of an affidavit at the time admission/ registration, in the format prescribed by UGC which is mandatory for admission/ registration.
What constitutes Ragging?
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts as listed in the above mentioned UGC regulation:
1. Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
2. Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
3. Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student
4. Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
5. Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
6. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
7. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
8. Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
9. Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Action(s) taken by the college in the event of Ragging
Depending upon the gravity of offence as established by the anti-ragging committee of St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad, the punishments for those found guilty of ragging shall be any one or any combination of the following:
1. Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
2. Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
3. Forfeiting Campus Placement opportunities / recommendations.
4. Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
5. Withholding of results.
6. Debarring from representing the University/Institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
7. Suspension/expulsion from the hostel.
8. Cancellation of admission.
9. Rustication from the University for a period ranging from one to two years.
10. Expulsion from the University and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
11. A fine of INR 25,000/-.
In the case of any ragging incident, the students should immediately call or send an email and bring it to the notice of the concerned authorities for necessary help, guidance, and actions.
Toll Free No. : 1800 - 180 – 5522
Our college in addition to the general helpline number and e-mail has decided to have its own functioning helpline
For further information on anti-ragging, refer the following: -
Judgment of Supreme Court on ragging (2009) [PDF].
UGC regulations to curb the menace of ragging (2009) [PDF].
Anti ragging policy and affidavits [PDF]